Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy New Year!



It's a new year, and time to re-dedicate myself to the proposition that all sorts of new and interesting designs are waiting to be created in the coming year.

I'll begin by looking backward: to an old favorite blackwork piece I stitched for myself (not published) 'way back in 1994. I took an Art Nouveau illustration that had the Three Fates (the three women) stitching on a long cloth (someone's life). It worked beautifully for a blackwork sampler, because it has lots of large areas (the clothing) where different patterns could be inserted.


Here's an up-close look at the lower lady stitching at the bottom of the design.
You can see several of the lovely blackwork patterns used in this design.

I especially enjoyed putting small round ivory pearls in several pattern areas (see the dress cuff and the upper flowered skirt). That added a bit of discreet texture to the piece.

All the skin areas were stitched in a plain diagonal row of backstitching, except I used DMC Fil D'Or (a very fine gold metallic). Not the funnest thread to stitch with, I admit, but it gives just the right warm golden glow to the skin areas.

I particulary love the symbolism of this piece.... it reminds me that no matter what kind of project you're working on right now, it's still a part of the overall design of your life. Each piece of the puzzle belongs in its own place, and is just one building block for what comes next -- whether it be another stitching project, or perhaps a major stepping stone in the path of your life.

In any event -- HAPPY STITCHIN' NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
May the coming Year be happy, healthy, prosperous and peaceful for all of us....

8 comments:

Theresa said...

This is absolutely beautiful!!!!
I love the meaning, too!!
May you have a greaqt new year to come!!

Celeritas said...

Wonderful post and wonderful piece. It really is lovely. It's also cool to stitch people stitching and especially the Fates as they would of course be stitching you stitching. heehe

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Oh I find this design so very interesting and beautiful.

Those are the kind of blackwork projects that I love stitching but there are not that many around unfortunately.

Pierrette =^..^=

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely piece and a fine reminder to all of us. Thanks for sharing it.
Nancy

tintocktap said...

Happy New Year, Laura! Love the blackwork piece and the sense of perspective you get from it!

Lynne said...

I absolutely LOVE !!! that Piece. Thank you for sharing it with us. You inspire me. Happy New Year.

Front Range Stitcher said...

Fabulous beauty. Thank you for bringing it out and showing us. It's really lovely.

Wanda said...

Beautiful work. Nice color choices. Very nice